Father’s Day is coming up so I really wanted to make something geared to the boys (although I suppose burgers show no gender!). Anyway, my Savory Zucchini-Olive Loaf came out yummy, so I thought I’d tweak it and try to make a bun…and it worked!
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1 tablespoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup of organic butter or ghee
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup green pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In first bowl, stir the dry ingredients: coconut flour, almond meal, xanthan gum, salt, onion flakes and garlic powder. In a second bowl, whisk eggs and cooled melted butter. Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and combine.
- Divide mixture into fourths (about a 1/2 cup each). Using 1/2 cup scooper, dip a portion of the “sticky” mixture and plop down on the parchment paper (It almost has the consistency of a large drop cookie). Do this four times. Use a spoon to shape it like a bun and to somewhat smooth the top.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Set aside.
- Thoroughly mix burger ingredients. If you don’t mind getting down and dirty, use your hands ~ I think this works best. Form into four patties. Grill until desired doneness.
- Carefully cut buns in half. Top burger with a thick slice of tomato, lettuce and a big dollop of guacamole.