I made bacon jam several days ago for the first time and fell in love. It is wonderful slightly heated and served with scrambled eggs in the morning; however, as it was cooking, I had a thought that it would make a great meatball ingredient. When I lived in Naples, Italy they had a dish called Tortellini in Brodo (tortellini in broth). So, I thought that these meatballs would make a good substitution and I was right…especially with the fresh, chopped basil leaves sprinkled on top.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup bacon jam
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1 large egg
- 5 cups broth of choice
- 5 tablespoons chopped basil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine first five ingredients. Form into 16 meatballs.
- Place meatballs in a greased baking pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until done.
- Heat broth and divide into four bowls. Place four meatballs in each bowl. Divide chopped basil among the bowls and garnish.