I bought an electric ice cream maker and have had a few trials, but I think I’ve learned a few tricks along the way. Number one, buy the can of full-fat coconut milk. Don’t try a coconut milk beverage or the light coconut milk…your ice cream results will come out icy and watery. Not good! Number two, take the time to add the two egg yolks…it adds to the custard-like texture or creaminess of your final result.
If you like ice cream “soft-serve” style, then eat it immediately after coming out of your ice-cream maker. If you like it a little firmer so that you can scoop it, then just freeze it for a couple of hours before serving.
- 13.5 ounce can of coconut milk
- 1/4 cup instant coffee crystals
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 2 large egg yolks
- Place all ingredients (except for the yolks) in a medium saucepan over low heat. Whisk until everything is blended well together. Turn off heat.
- Whisk two egg yolks in a separate bowl. Temper the yolks by adding a small ladle of hot mixture, stirring continuously so as to not “cook” the eggs. Add a second ladle to egg mixture. Once combined, pour this back into the saucepan and stir everything together. Refrigerate until completely cooled.
- Follow the directions on your ice cream mixer as each one may be a little different. I put the freezing cavity in the freezer overnight and the ice cream mixture in the refrigerator overnight and then blend in the morning for about 30 minutes.