This recipe came to me when I was out “repurpose”- shopping for some interesting plates for my food photography. I saw these bright yellow banana boats for $2.50 and immediately thought of Elvis and his PB&Banana Sandwiches. So…if Elvis were alive and he was living Paleo-style, then this would be his dessert!!
- 1 banana
- 2 teaspoons almond butter
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 egg whites, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar crystals
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- 2 ounces dark chocolate (72% or higher)
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped pecans
- Slice the banana lengthwise down the center. Place in two separate bowls. Spread 1 teaspoon of almond butter down the length of each banana half. Sprinkle 1/2 tablepsoon of the coconut flakes down each of the banana halves. Set aside.
- Preheat broiler. Blend egg whites in a metal bowl. Mix the coconut crystals in gradually. Add the honey. Blend until you have stiff peaks (you now have meringue).
- Spoon or pipe the meringue mixture to the side of each banana. Broil for 2-3 minutes until browned.
- Remove bananas from the oven. Drizzle 1 oz of melted chocolate over each banana/meringue. Top with crushed pecans and remaining coconut flakes.